If you are following my Facebook page (link) then you may have caught the theme. A Giant, gargantuan passion in becoming an integrative wellness coach is mental health. One of the barely mentioned importance of getting, maintaining, and individualizing a “health nut” life-style is YOUR MIND. Yes. The one that your are about the loose or has already walked right out the door. That one. Your and my activity, food relationship, self care, boundaries, spiritual/ritual practice immensely impact our minds. Good or bad. 😇 😈 There isn’t a one and done cure that applies to all. We are created uniquely with common threads. It may work for a few, many, or one. The following goes in the “many” box with the “one” options for you.
It is more than put on your mask first. Mask first is survival. Yes, put on the mask first and then take a deep inhale. And let it go. The goal is to gain ground past survival to joy.
The basics of braking
- STOP I mean press hard so everything slams to the front. It might hurt at first. Yet, this gives you the option to see what is before and make step two simpler.
- Prioritize Name it. Write it. Chant it. Sing it. Whatever it takes. What are the Top Five of Right Now? Then that’s all that matters. Your list will shift and change over time and through out the day. Continually prioritize.
- Draw Boundaries When priorities are set, it becomes clear lines need to be drawn. When is TRULY, I mean truly your responsibility and in your realm of control. Can you do it? Yes. No. Can you do it right now? Yes. No. Can it wait? Yes? Yes! When the lines are drawn, don’t go preschool scribble. Stay in the lines as long as they serve you and other’s within reason. Not an eh or maybe. I mean say there’s the line and that’s the way it is. Right now my line is: kids have their work and I’ve mine. For the next thirty minutes, if you, the dog, or the house isn’t on fire or dying- deal.
Putting the wheels back on and stay in neutral
The basics are grasped. Every thing is on hold. My kids are freaking out. Your life is freaking out. Inhale allllllllll the way down to your hips. I mean deep AF. Then push slowly until you are empty. What is it you need? Pick it. Rotate it. Make your “in neutral” yours.
Break from tech
Be there with loved ones as in pure engagement and nothing else
Binge watch, Netflix and chill, or recapture fav classics
Read! Book, magazine, or article
Sleeeeepp or veg
Color, paint, sew, draw, tear paper
yes. tear paper. try it.
Write. Everything. Prompts. Bullet. Dear diary. Dear inner child. Jibberish.
Walk. Run. Ride. Hike
Dance. Listen to music.
Bake. Cook. With in reason Comfort Food.
Make your joy intentional and pick something just for funsies. You don’t need to be productive every second of the day.
U turn and get back to basics of Fundamental of self care
- Bath regularly
- Take time for hair and face as whatever that may look like
- Clean, not intentionally torn clothes
- Mindfulness practice. So many apps- mindfulness and meditation. SO. MANY. APPS. Find one and take five minutes daily for your mental well being.
- Eat breakfast tech-less. No T.V. No Phone. No tablet. No Google home. Etc. Bless it and eat it.
- Eat lunch dinner tech-less. Talk to those around you or yourself. Don’t talk. Have a chat with your cat. My crazy won’t judge your crazy.
- Exercise frequently. A few days a week. Yoga, Walk. Zumba. Step in place. Kick-boxing. It’s necessary.
- Read something for growth a few times a week or daily. A few minute article counts!
My self worth was and sometimes is tied up in productivity and perfection. My floors need to be swept. Eh. Yoga pants today? They’re clean. Meet all my goals and to-do-list. Not exactly. Hit the Brakes. Prioritize. Lines Drawn.
Namaste and watch your head