From intolerances to “this could be an ER visit,” we are that allergy family. We hit all of them. Restaurants require research. Dinners are a cultivated art of allergy free. We meticulously plan for BBQs and get togethers. Halloween is a search and find of labels and parental taxes. We gotta get something out of preparing for the festivities, right? Fortunately for the food allergy challenged, there are easy options.
- First things first. Know your candy. Know what your favorites are to negotiate taxes and know how to practice candy safety. This means check packaging (sealed?), reading all labels (known allergies on it?), and if you’re not sure, trash it.
- Look for safe candies (free from top 8 allergies): DOTS, Ring Pop, Dum Dums, Skittles, Smarties, Starburst, and Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. Yes brand matters in this case.
- Get in the project! Food Allergy Research & Education has an amaze Teal Pumpkin Project The site contains a map across the United States of homes with Top 8 Allergy friendly candies or non candy items. We are on that map!!
- There are great kid friendly activities
- Print outs for your home are on this site!
- Stores like Target and Michaels are carrying Teal Pumpkin items for purchase.
- Offer allergy friendly candies that do not contain the top 8 allergies or have a prize option: Stickers, rings, slime, pencils, any party favor.
- I am finding multipack prize options at a reasonable cost at Target and Walmart.
Below are the Top 8 Common Allergies for your in the know. Food allergy challenged or not, awareness for the sake of safety in important. Please consider going teal in the festivities. This act of kindness will treat you in the future.
Top 8 Allergies
Namaste 🙏 and ❤️ teal 🎃