This week offered an excellent reminder of the importance of my food relationship being in balance. When your stomach isn’t right, nothing is right. My gut was hateful, largely due to my mindless choices and long term damage. I am in gut healing, asking for forgiveness mode now. It seems we are coming to an agreement. That gut feeling affects everything, from mood to physical mobility. When you can’t move because of your gut dysfunction, its real.
When you eat for your gut, you eat for the rest of your body.
Self care for your tummy starts with two basics: prebiotic and probiotics. You need fiber, greens, whole grains- prebiotics. It’s counter part or twin, is probiotics. One isn’t complete without the other. Probiotics are more than yogurt in it’s many forms. Kefir, sauerkraut, sour dough bread, kombucha (my fav!), tempeh, miso, cottage cheese are just a few sources of probiotics. The twins need to be a daily part of your food relationship along with proper hydration. Your gut needs water and you don’t need to carry a gallon around, the fluidity in your food life can be in a cup or on a fork or hands. I will join you in all three methods. Water cleanses and with many tea options, it can heal. Get pre, pro – biotics with hydro for an much improved gut feeling.
When adding flavor with a gut boost there are quite a few herbs and spices to choose from. Ginger is a potent to food and drink. It’s awesome for bloating. Parsley, Bay leaves, and Oregano specifically speak to your tummy as well. Whispers of soothing, anti-inflammation, and healing. Using these herbs like in the recipe push the good gut vibes with zest.
Braised Chicken with Veggies/Chunky Veggie Stew
- Large Crock pot
- chicken thighs 2 lbs or whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- Olive oil
- Canned crushed tomatoes 28
- 2-3 carrots- 2 inch thick slices
- Onion quartered
- Green beans (I opted for frozen this go round)
- Chicken or Vegetable broth 15 oz
- Oregano: 1/4 cup chopped or 2 tbsp dried
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional add in veggies: brussel sprouts halved, mushrooms halved, kale, spinach, radishes, diced bell peppers
There are two paths: meat with veggies or total vegetarian. For vegetarians skip the long step one.
- Braising chicken: drizzle about 2 tbsp of olive oil in a medium-hot skillet. Place chicken in skin down first and cook for about 3-4 minutes. You want each side brown. Then place cooked chicken in a skillet.
- In a crock pot:
- Vegetarian: place all veggies then pour enough vegetable broth to cover 2/3 of veggies.
- With Chicken: pour enough chicken broth to cover chicken, then add desired veggies on top
- Then place herbs, salt, and pepper
- Cover and cook on a low setting for 6-8 hours with chicken, 4-6 hours with just veggies.
You can add topping as you like. It’s hearty with tender chicken, veggies, and flavorful herbs. I love simple as we have so. much. going. on. Are you with me? I want wellness with ease and a food relationship that speaks to good gut vibes.
Another recipe or two will follow shortly with more herbs for that best gut feeling. When you subscribe you get more in your food relationship! Please! Please feel free to comment on favorite dishes with any kind of herbs. I love new additions in my food life!
Namaste and Loving Gut Feelings