I like flexibility in my food relationships. Could this be a fajita? A wrap? Ditch the tortilla for a salad? Add some spices for Italian flare? It all depends on what the mood today. Buying a few, key ingredients that work in multiple ways can be a powerhouse to you and your budget. Freshness variety is great. Too much variety of perishables in a small window of time can be costly and if you can’t eat it all before expiration, wasteful. It’s about intent. This list can have a few additions and be used in multiple ways for delicious health.
The Core List:
What you can add on for flavor variety
- Lightly cook peppers with mushrooms. Then put on a couple corn tortillas with a half to a full ounce of neufchatel cream cheese on each tortilla. Add red pepper flakes, a few slices of avocado, and the rest of the veggies. Corn tortillas and neufchatel cream cheese are lower in fat and calories.
- Roast veggies- add black beans with salsa, a half cup of brown rice.
- Light roast veggies with 1 tablespoon of oregano and basil with two cloves of garlic; add whole grain pasta with a light butter sauce
- Lean meat the size of your hand palm to numbers 1-3 like chicken breast, 90% beef, ground turkey or chicken.
- Breakfast: lightly roast veggies and add egg/egg whites, lean bacon or sausage
Be good with your tortilla, rice, and pasta carbs.
You need carbs within the suggested serving.
These veggie combos love you much. Most the vegetables contain vitamin Bs which makes your calorie fuel burn better. Vitamin Bs and magnesium are essential for nerve function thus your brain, they have that too. Eat it now to help with focus and handling stress later. Quite a bit of these veggies are packed with antioxidants, especially vitamins E & A. This means reduced cancer risk and help with the fight in aging at the very least. Vitamin C dominates in this group and brings more than immune boost to the table. C also plays a vital role in helping to absorb other vitamins and minerals. We could go all day about nutritional value in this list, but take this start. Work your short list for the long list of total body benefit.
Please leave a comment on the veggie you love/tolerate and the ones on your black list. Me: spinach and I have a love affair. Brussel sprouts are earning my trust. I become faint by smell of cooked turnip greens.
Namaste and Let Your Veggies Love You