- Eat This: Beans and Legumes: the Good, the Bad, the Lies.Truth be told, I should need to write this. Or need for me to take a continuing education course on legumes. Yes, a course on beans. A course on beans becomes necessary when too many healthnuts are raging and warning me (and others), you guessed it, not to eat beans. Why is this small butContinue reading “Eat This: Beans and Legumes: the Good, the Bad, the Lies.”
- Do This: Cross the Midline Exercises. Using Movement to Your Brain Advantage.Cross the midline exercises became important some years ago while I was working in education. The understanding was to use intentional movements to build multiple brain path ways and reinforce balance in a child’s cognitive or motor development. This purposeful kinesthetic teaching can be useful for various cognitive and learning disorders too. Many of the children’sContinue reading “Do This: Cross the Midline Exercises. Using Movement to Your Brain Advantage.”
- Eat This: Shakes and Juices for Weight LossShould you consider protein or nutrtional shakes or juicing? yes! It’s required? No! Find the Why and May Be Not in considering this wellness habit.
- Do This: Mindful Eating. Confessions from an ADHD Eater.I am just horrible with this. I know how to eat. I know how to eat nutrient dense. But being present in the moment is so freaking hard. I’ve got my list of excuses: children, trainings, dog, emails coming through, appointments to make, ways to distract myself, and making lists. As a certified ADHDian amongContinue reading “Do This: Mindful Eating. Confessions from an ADHD Eater.”
- Food Unicorn Truth: Food Allergies are Not a PreferenceFood allergies are not a preference. Not eating a particular food isn’t because we don’t like it or want to be difficult. It’s survival. Like not putting your hand or whole body in the fire type of survival. It seems like a simple concept; yet, there’s misunderstanding and miscommunication on both ends- the foodie withContinue reading “Food Unicorn Truth: Food Allergies are Not a Preference”
- Eat This: What are Macronutrients and Why are They Important?It isn’t complicated. This one you got. What are macronutrients? Literally, its the large nutrients in your food relationship. We don’t need to sort through an alphabetically list. We don’t need to go crossed eyed trying to figure out what food has which macronutrient. There’s three: Carbohydrates. Protein. Fats. This is it. Yet, these threeContinue reading “Eat This: What are Macronutrients and Why are They Important?”
Hi, I’m JRiley. I am lifelong food unicorn and chronic illness champion. Notjusthealthnuts was created to address diet culture, health culture versus the reality of food allergies and chronic illness. Being well isn’t an image. It’s not just for health nuts either. Join me in finding your best state of being.
Find the Blog For You
Vegetarian email- no spam.
Don’t get spammed and say yes to you!